Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Teal Appeal - The "Real" Teal

Ok so I have come to accept that my definition of teal might be more of a green blue than teal as I can't really find any "teals" that match my sweater.  Maybe my sweater is more peacock blue....whatever I wanted a nail polish that matched so I decided to mix my own. RBL Teal was pretty close to perfect, I just wanted a little more green and a tad lighter so I set out to make a "near dupe."


Materials:
  • Sinful Colors See You Soon
  • Sinful Colors Tokyo Pearl
  • New York Summer Amaranth
  • Nars Thunderball eyeshadow (mine had sadly broke months ago so I figured I'd make use of the bits)
  • Sally Hansen clear base (I don't remember which one I used)
  • Ballz

  1. Mix 1/3 of a bottle of See You Soon and 1/2 a bottle of Amaranth.
  2. Add 30 drops of Tokyo Pearl
  3. I then added 1/4 of the powder from my Thunderball eyeshadow to make the polish more pigmented and make the base more blue (See You Soon is blue glitter in a black base). 
  4. I split this mix between 0.5 oz bottles and topped them both off with clear (one bottle was a gift).

The "Real" Teal
The color of the resulting polish was really close to the RBL Teal but, though lighter and greener.  It is also a shimmer.  Halfway through I realized I really wanted a creme but it was too late.  In retrospect I am glad it is a shimmer as it is pretty close to RBL Teal.  The shimmer gives it a different look and makes it more of its own color.

 
The "Real" Teal with flash (left) and in sunlight (right)...well cloud light, I hate winter.

A close to perfect match!  I could have added a touch more blue but I wanted to stop here.

Always remember that nail polishes don't always play well with each other.  If you are going to play mad scientist proceed at your own risk and use proper safety procedures....yes I am a science teacher.  I am not suggesting that frankening is risk free and my franken recipes are just me recounting how I mixed up my latest potion. I take no responsibility for your mad scientist experiments.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a really gorgeous franken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - that's really nice. I agree with the 'peacock' name...... this does look more like a peacock color than a teal.


    it is very, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS!

    Yeah so maybe I don't like teal...maybe I like peacock blue. WTH the Daimond Don't Teal My Heart Away if freaking fantastic I <3 it. Seriously I wore it for 3 days, I patched it. So I guess I just love blues.....

    ReplyDelete